Sixth International Symposium,
“Invasion of Alien Species in Holarctic. Borok-VI”,
October 11-15, 2021
International Symposium “INVASION OF ALIEN SPECIES IN HOLARCTIC: BOROK VI ” was first organized 20 years ago and has become regular.
The Symposium, depending on the number of participants, will be held either in Borok place, on the base of Papanin Institute for Biology of Inland Waters, Russian Academy of Sciences (Borok, Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia) or in Uglich city (Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia).
The symposium is supported by:
- Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS)
- Division of Biological Sciences (DBS RAS)
- Scientific Council of Hydrobiology and Ichthyology RAS
- International Union of Biologica l Sciences (IUBS)
- International Society of Zoological Sciences (ISZS)
- RAS Commission of Preservation of Biological Diversity
- Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolution, RAS (SIEE RAS)
- Papanin Institute for Biology of Inland Waters, RAS (IBIW RAS)
- Biological Resources Division (BRD) of the United States Geological Survey (USGS)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service (US FWS)
- Hydrobiological Society at RAS (HBO at RAS)
- RAS Scientific Council of Research, Preservation and Rational Use of Animal World
The main goals of the Sixth International Symposium:
- Consolidation of efforts to study the processes of spread of alien plant and animal species in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems;
- Exchange of information on the vectors, causes, scales, and regularities of species spread; changes in their properties in new aquatic and terrestrial habitats;
- Assessment of the role of the alien species in the transformation of endemic communities; evaluation of social and economic consequences of biological invasions as well as development of risk assessment approaches;
- Discussion on the issues related to terminology, theory of species spread and study methods.
Themes of presentations:
I.Spatial and temporal dynamics of biological invasions in the Holarctic:
- invasions in marine ecosystems;
- invasions in freshwater ecosystems;
- invasions in terrestrial ecosystems;
II. Genetic and evolutionary aspects of biological invasions.
III. Consequences of alien species invasion for aboriginal species and ecosystems and human wellbeing.
IV. Role of global climatic and anthropogenic factors in the processes of biological invasions, including new approaches and methods in research of invasions of alien species.
V. Information systems for monitoring invasion processes, including development of problem-oriented databases and mathematical modelling of the processes related to invasion of alien species.
It is planned that the program of the Symposium will include “Round Tables” with lectures delivered by leading scientists on the following topics:
- invasion of alien species into urban areas;
- social and economic aspects of the processes of biological invasions;
- management of biological invasions: risk assessment, prevention and control.
Initiative group of the International Symposium:
Yu.Yu. Dgebuadze – Severtsov Institute of Problems of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences – SIPEE RAS, Moscow, Russia
A.V. Krylov – Papanin Institute for Biology of Inland Waters, Russian Academy of Sciences – IBIW RAS, Borok, Russia
V.G. Petrosyan – Severtsov Institute of Problems of Ecology and Evolution, Russian Academy of Sciences– SIPEE RAS , Moscow, Russia
D.P. Karabanov – Papanin Institute for Biology of Inland Waters, Russian Academy of Sciences – IBIW RAS, Borok, Russia
Main Working Language — English
Please register by February 1, 2021.
Or PLEASE SEND THE FORM TO: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
If you have any inquiries, please contact by e-mail: <email@example.com>